5 Incredible African Honeymoon Hideaways
Say “I Do” to the most romantic spots in the world on an African honeymoon. Whether you want to start married life surrounded by wildlife on an epic safari, or gazing at the most unique landscapes on the planet, or experiencing once-in-a-lifetime adventure, we have the inside scoop on honeymoons that are anything but ordinary.
1. Angama Mara, Kenya — High above a game reserve where some of the most memorable scenes from “Out of Africa” were filmed, is the newest and most dramatic safari lodge in Kenya, Angama Mara. The camps name is Swahili for ‘suspended in mid air,” and couples will feel like they’re literally walking on air at this intimate tented camp with luxury comforts such as deep soaking tubs with views over the Great Rift Valley, on one of the most scenic locations on the entire continent. A short ride away from this serene perch is Governor’s Balloon Safaris, a flight of a lifetime that soars high above the Mara, then comes back to earth with a champagne picnic for two. This is Mark Nolting’s most recent honeymoon choice.
2. Linkwasha Camp, Zimbabwe – The newest and most comtemporary tented lodge in Zimbabwe is Alison Nolting’s top pick for honeymooners for its modern design, excellent service, and incredible wildlife. Overlooking a pan that is a magnet for game across all seasons, the fresh, open and airy design of Linkwasha Camp is complemented by an eclectic mix of interiors that combine modern décor with the original spirit and essence of safari. The camp focuses on luxury in its eight spacious en-suite tents that look out over the waterhole. The main area includes several romantic spots for a tête-à-tête, including multi-level decks, a pool area, and a cozy winter lounge and library.
3. Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge, Rwanda – For unparalleled adventure, says senior consultant Kyle Witten, few things compare with a gorilla trek; following a path through the thick forest for an encounter few people on earth have experienced. Witten recommends balancing the rugged gorilla trek with the cozy pampering of Sabyinyo, situated on the edge of the Parc National des Volcans in North Western Rwanda, 7,000 ft above sea level with views of the volcanoes that rise to almost 15,000 feet. The lodge offers all the creature comforts of a luxury honeymoon on the gorilla trail with service so attentive, they’ll hand you a walking stick as you head out the door, then greet you at the end of the day with dinner delivered to your room complete with a roaring fire and bottle of your favorite spirit.
4. Zarafa Camp, Botswana – This intimate, ultra-luxurious safari camp is located on a palm island on the edge of the wildlife-filled Selinda Game Reserve and was created by two of the biggest names in African conservation, Dereck and Beverly Joubert. Just four tents are on the property, making it seem like couples have the entire Relais and Chateaux hideaway to themselves. Even better, the plush tents feature beds with open views over the plains, fireplaces, and private plunge pools. And right in the back yard is a gateway to seeing elephant, wild dog, cats and more!
5. Victoria Falls Hotel, Victoria Falls – A romantic spot just a 10-minute walk from the thundering Victoria Falls, the hotel has a colonial elegance with graceful architecture, spacious terraces, colorful gardens, and a swimming pool and tennis courts. You may enjoy dinner in the elegant Livingstone dining room or the Jungle Junction restaurant that offers a unique cultural dancing and ethnic eating experience. AAC clients Debbie and Ken Lee say Victoria Falls is, “More beautiful than Niagara Falls. We highly recommend the helicopter ride, tour with Esther, and staying at the Victoria Falls Hotel!”. This Grande Dame is a once in a lifetime (bucket list) destination.